Sgt Cian Gilbey to cycle from London to Southend for TFT
This Sunday Sgt Cian Gilbey will be cycling on a single speed bike 52 miles from London to Southend for Tickets For Troops. A week later he will be taking part in a 60 mile cycle from London to Cambridge. We caught up with him to find out how he was feeling in the lead up to Sunday.
1. Have you done anything like this before?
I completed the London to Southend ride when I was 15 but have not taken part in a big event like these two since, (so 15 years ago)!
2. How has training gone over the last couple of weeks? Has it been easier or harder than you expected?
The training has gone well, I am getting used to only having one gear and not being able to coast. The hardest part has been remembering that even if you stop pedalling your legs will still continue to turn which if you forget gives you a bit of a shock.
3. How has the fundraising gone?
The fundraising has gone well but more donations would be greatly appreciated!
4. What is the furthest cycle you have done whilst training? What is your plan between now and the race?
The furthest ride I have completed so far is 46 miles. I am planning on doing a 30 mile ride today and for the rest of the week just 10 miles to keep my legs loose and get some time on the saddle. I will rest on Saturday before taking part in the event. Then a similar schedule the week after before the London to Cambridge ride which is further and has a higher elevation.
5. Are you looking forward to Sunday and is there a certain time you are trying to achieve?
I am looking forward to it. The race starts at 0900 and depending on the weather I will be aiming for around four and a half hours.
Please help Cian reach his fundraising target by donating here:www.bmycharity.com/ciansticketsfortroops